Global Standards for the Microelectronics Industry
JEDEC Publishes Universal Flash Storage (UFS & UFSHCI) Version 3.0 and UFS Card Extension Version 1.1
ARLINGTON, Va., USA – January 30, 2018 – JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, the global leader in the development of standards for the microelectronics industry, today announced the publication of Universal Flash Storage (UFS) version 3.0, JESD220D. In addition, new updates to related standards, JESD223D UFSHCI and JESD220-2A UFS Card Extension, have also been published. Developed for mobile applications and computing systems requiring high performance with low power consumption, UFS 3.0 is the first standard to introduce MIPI M-PHY HS-Gear4, with a data rate of up to 11.6 Gbps per lane, a 2x performance increase over prior versions of the specification. UFS 3.0 includes two features introduced specifically for the automotive market: the ability to function at an extended temperature range and refresh operation. JESD220D, JESD223D and JESD220-2A are available for download from the JEDEC website.
UFS is a high-performance interface designed for use in applications where power consumption needs to be minimized, including mobile systems such as smart phones and tablets as well as automotive applications. Its high-speed serial interface and optimized protocol enable significant improvements in throughput and system performance.
To achieve the highest performance and most power efficient data transport, JEDEC UFS leverages industry leading specifications from the MIPI® Alliance to form its Interconnect Layer. This collaboration continues with UFS version 3.0, which references the MIPI M-PHY® v4.1 physical layer specification and the recently released MIPI UniProSM v1.8 transport layer specification.
UFS version 3.0 defines the following updates over the prior version of the standard:
- Use of MIPI M-PHY v4.1 and the recently released MIPI UniProSM v1.8 specification to form the Interconnect Layer
- Introduction of M-PHY HS-Gear4, with a data rate up to 11.6 Gbps per lane, a 2x performance increase over M-PHY HS-Gear3
- Utilizes Adapt support in MIPI M-PHY v4.1 and QoS support defined in the recently released MIPI UniPro v1.8 specification to support more reliable link communication by monitoring and training the communication channel
- Continues support of 2-Lanes, max data rate of 23.2 Gbps
- 2.5V VCC power supply enables lower power consumption and support for the latest NAND technology
- Temperature event notification, including device alert based on a pre-defined temperature range
- RPMB Regions, supporting multiple RPMB keys with multiple associated RPMB regions. RPMB regions are fixed at manufacturing and are now also configurable at manufacturing.
- Device Error History: Logging mode defined for the device to enable in-system debugging
- Features targeted for the automotive market: Extended temperature range (-40C, 105C) and refresh operation with added host control mechanism to improve device data reliability
The JESD223 UFS Host Controller Interface (UFSHCI) version 3.0 standard is intended to simplify the design process by defining a standard host controller interface with which system designers can create a common host controller software driver to work with UFS host controller hardware from different manufacturers. The HCI functionality enables higher performance and power efficiency by minimizing the involvement of the host processor in the operation of the Flash storage subsystem. JESD223D is designed to utilize Adapt support in MIPI M-PHY v4.1 and QoS support defined in the recently released MIPI UniPro v1.8 specification to support more reliable link communication by monitoring and training the communication channel.
UFS Card Extension version 1.1 includes minor updates and editorial changes, including full support for HS-G1/G2/G3 and the addition of power definition for the card, RMS and peak.
“UFS 3.0, UFSHCI 3.0 and the UFS Card Extension update offer a host of enhancements over the prior versions of these standards that will help product designers enable significant improvements in mobile devices and related applications,” said Mian Quddus, Chairman of the JEDEC Board of Directors and the JC-64 Committee for Embedded Memory Storage and Removable Memory Cards. He added, “The addition of features specifically for the automotive market underscores the commitment of JEDEC members to continue to evolve the UFS ecosystem to meet the needs of the industry and, ultimately, the consumer.”
JEDEC is the global leader in the development of standards for the microelectronics industry. Thousands of volunteers representing nearly 300 member companies work together in over 100 JEDEC committees and task groups to meet the needs of every segment of the industry, manufacturers and consumers alike. The publications and standards generated by JEDEC committees are accepted throughout the world. All JEDEC standards are available for download from the JEDEC website. For more information, visit www.jedec.org.
MIPI® and MIPI M-PHY® are registered trademarks owned by MIPI Alliance and UniProSM is a service mark of MIPI Alliance. For more information about MIPI Alliance and its specifications, visit www.mipi.org.