Global Standards for the Microelectronics Industry
JEDEC Awards: 2022 Honorees
Each year, JEDEC acknowledges the contributions of member company representatives who have demonstrated outstanding effort and dedication in support of the development of open industry standards in JEDEC, beyond the normal scope of committee activities.
JEDEC is honored to congratulate the following 2022 award winners and their companies.
Distinguished Executive Leadership Award
The JEDEC Distinguished Executive Leadership Award honors the most distinguished senior executives in the electronics industry who have promoted and supported the advancement of JEDEC standards. These leaders are truly the pace setters of the industry through the companies they build and the teams they support to make the industry better for everyone through open standards development. Recipients of this award have distinguished themselves by providing long-term support for JEDEC participation at a strategic or managerial level over many years.
JEDEC is delighted to congratulate Dr. Jung-Bae Lee, Ph.D. and president of the Memory Business at Samsung Electronics on receiving the 2022 JEDEC Distinguished Executive Leadership Award for his decades of support for the standardization of memory and storage technologies in JEDEC.
Award of Excellence
The Award of Excellence is the most prestigious technical award bestowed by the Association, and recognizes an individual’s sustained service to JEDEC and the standards community.
Dr. Stephanie Watts Butler, TI is recognized for her outstanding leadership and dedication to the industry that led to the formation of the JC-70 committee for Wide Bandgap Power Electronic Conversion Semiconductors. During her service as committee chair from 2017-2021, JC-70 became JEDEC's third largest and fastest growing committee. JC-70 published 5 documents during this time, with several more in various stages of balloting. Dr. Butler also championed the building of relationships between JC-70 and other organizations, including JEITA, IEC and ECPE.
Taek Woon Kim, Samsung is recognized for his leadership role in defining the full DDR5 standard and his many key technical contributions to the standard. Mr. Kim serves as chair of the JC-42.3 subcommittee and the DDR5 task group, and played a major role in resolving key issues during the development process of the standard. DDR5 was designed to meet increasing needs for efficient performance in a wide range of applications including client systems and high-performance servers.
Technical Recognition Award
JEDEC’s award for technical achievement acknowledges outstanding contributions to technology standardization. The 2022 recipients are:
- Jeff (Jihyun) Choi, Samsung – contributions to GDDR6/7 and HBM3
- Dat Lee, Intel – contributions to DDR PMIC standards
- Slobodan Mrdjan, Intel – contributions to DDR5
- Michael Richter, Micron – contributions to GDDR5, GDDR5X, GDDR6 and HBM1/2/2E/3 Standards
Outstanding Leadership Award
This award acknowledges an individual’s outstanding service to JEDEC. The 2022 recipients are:
- Jordan Chin, Dell – contributions to DDR5
- Thomas Won Ha Choi, Sk Hynix – contributions to DDR5
- Bruno Trematore, Kioxia – contributions to UFS, XFMD and liaisons with other standards organizations
Chairman of the Board Discretionary Awards
The purpose of these awards is to recognize member company representatives who have gone above and beyond in support of JEDEC committee or Board activities, and who are otherwise ineligible for annual awards. The 2022 recipients are:
- HeeChang Cho, Samsung - for extensive contributions over many years to JC-64
- Zhineng Fan, Amphenol - in recognition of technical contribution and leadership of JC-11 and JC-45
- D.Y. Lee, One Semiconductor - in recognition of technical contribution and leadership of JC-40 and JC-45
- Alan Lucero, Intel - in recognition of technical contribution and leadership of JC-14
- Stefan Saroiu, Microsoft - in recognition of row hammer mitigation standardization support in JC-42
- Aws Shallal, Rambus - in recognition of extensive technical contributions to JC-40
- George Vergis, Intel - in recognition of extensive technical contributions to JC-45
- Stuart Berke, Dell - for leadership in overcoming significant challenges as Board of Directors CXL Strategy Task Group Chair
- Jonathan Hinkle, Lenovo - in recognition of dedication and leadership as Board of Directors Marketing Vice-Chair
- Gary Tressler, IBM - in recognition of dedication and leadership as Board of Directors Awards Committee Chair