Global Standards for the Microelectronics Industry
JEDEC Awards: 2020 Honorees
Each year, JEDEC acknowledges the contributions of member company representatives who have demonstrated outstanding effort and dedication in support of the development of open industry standards in JEDEC, beyond the normal scope of committee activities.
JEDEC is honored to congratulate the following 2020 award winners and their companies.
Distinguished Executive Leadership Award
The JEDEC Distinguished Executive Leadership Award honors the most distinguished senior executives in the electronics industry who have promoted and supported the advancement of JEDEC standards. These leaders are truly the pace setters of the industry through the companies they build and the teams they support to make the industry better for everyone through open standards development. Recipients of this award have distinguished themselves by providing long-term support for JEDEC participation at a strategic or managerial level over many years.
Dr. Joo Sun Choi of Samsung Semiconductor: A pioneer in DDR SDRAM, driving memory standard products to new heights
Dr. Howard Yang of Montage Technology: A pioneer in Low Power Technology driving memory module architecture standards that shape the computing world
Award of Excellence
The Award of Excellence is the most prestigious technical award bestowed by the Association, and it recognizes an individual’s sustained service to JEDEC and the standards community.
Curtis Grosskopf of IBM is recognized for his outstanding contributions and leadership role in developing standards for quality & reliability, including new joint standards and extensive revisions to existing test methods and qualification standards.
Osamu Nagashima of Micron is receiving this award for his significant leadership and technical roles as a key driver in the development of the LPDDR4, LPDDR4x, and LPDDR5 standards.
Technical Recognition Award
JEDEC’s award for technical achievement acknowledges outstanding contributions to technology standardization. The 2020 recipients are:
- Thomas Won Ha Choi, SK hynix - contributions to DDR5 and NVDIMM-P
- Xiang Li, Intel - contributions to new socket and module outlines
- Kevin McIlvain, IBM - contributions to DDR5 Differential DIMM
- Matt Prather, Micron - contributions to DDR5
- Bruno Trematore, Kioxia - contributions to UFS 3.1 and related collaboration with the MIPI Alliance
Outstanding Leadership Award
This award acknowledges an individual’s outstanding service to JEDEC. The 2020 recipients are:
- Wendy Elsasser, Arm - contributions to NVDIMM-P
- Arvind Kumar, Intel - introducing new techniques to advance the IO bandwidths of DDR4, DDR5 DRAMs, RCDs and DBs
- Kelvin Marino, Smart Modular - contributions to NVDIMM-N and BAEBI (Byte Addressable Energy Backed Interface) specifications
- James McCall, Intel - contributions to DDR5, LPDDR5, DDR4, LPDDR4