Global Standards for the Microelectronics Industry
Year in Review: 2011
Standards and Publications
- JESD220, Universal Flash Storage
- JESD84-B45, Embedded Multi-Media Card (e•MMC), Electrical Standard (4.5 Device)
- JESD79-3-2, Addendum No. 2 to JESD79-3
- JESD9B, Inspection Criteria for Microelectronic Packages and Covers
- JESD216, Serial Flash Discoverable Parameters (SFDP) for Serial NOR Flash
- JS709, Joint JEDEC/ECA Standard, Defining "Low-Halogen" Passives And Solid State Devices (Removal of BFR/CFR/PVC)
- JS-001-2011, Joint ANSI/ESDA/JEDEC Standard For Electronic Discharge Sensitivity Test - Human Body Model (HBM) Component Level
- JEP144A, Guideline For Internal Gas Analysis For Microelectronic Packages
- MO-303A, Registration - Land Grid Array Family, Rectangular, 0.50 mm Pitch
- SPD4_01_02_11 Release No. 21A SPD Annex K - Serial Presence Detect (SPD) for DDR3 SDRAM Modules
JEDEC held several successful events this year, including three Mobile Memory Forums in Shenzhen, China; Hsinchu, Taiwan; and Seoul, Korea in the spring. The international events were held in partnership with the Taiwan Semiconductor Industry Association and the Korea Semiconductor Industry Association. JEDEC and TSIA also held a Mobile Memory Workshop in Taiwan in October, and JEDEC hosted a Server Memory Forum in Santa Clara, CA in November. The annual RoCS Workshop was once again co-located with the MANTECH Conference, which was held in Palm Springs, CA in May.
Marketing and Communications
- CEA: JEDEC continued to participate in the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) as an Allied Association Partner, hosting a conference track: “Flash Forward: Flash Memory Storage Solutions for Mobile Devices" at CES in January.
- ESDA: JEDEC published a joint ESD standard with ESDA (JS-001-2011). JEDEC and ESDA are now working on a joint Charged Device Model (CDM) standard.
- GSA: Cooperation continues with GSA on the revision of JP-001 on Foundry Qualification.
- IPC: JEDEC continued its collaboration with IPC on J-STD-020, J-STD-033 and J-STD-075 and a number of other documents. Another joint standard, IPC/JEDEC 9707 Spherical Bend Test Method, was published in October 2011. A revision of J-STD-033 was balloted in the fall and is expected to be published in the near future.
- MIPI® Alliance: The MOU between JEDEC and MIPI culminated in the successful publication of Universal Flash Storage in February, which incorporates both the MIPI M-PHYSM and UniProSM specifications as the Interconnect Layer of UFS.
- SAE International: Work continues on a joint standard for fiber optics in military and space applications.
- SEMATECH: JEDEC, IEEE, SiA and SEMI collaborated with SEMATECH on the development of a 3D Standards Dashboard to promote the development of standards and encourage widespread participation in standardization efforts for heterogeneous 3D integration. For more information: http://wiki.sematech.org/3D-Standards.
- TechAmerica: Collaborations continued with TechAmerica through their G-11 and G-12 Committees and the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) bringing together the perspectives of the manufacturers, suppliers and government to update pertinent military standards including MIL-STD-750, MIL-STD-883, MIL-PRF-19500, MIL-PRF-38534, and MIL-PRF-38535.